Friday, October 17, 2014

Objective Ministry Evaluation

Yesterday, in tears I wrote the following; How do I know I remained 

called to the ministry when I seem to have failed so miserably over 

the years?  My oldest son resents the church to point I am not sure he 

will ever return.

I have built the attendance up of the current church I serve, and 

because of dumb christians do we are constantly losing members, is it 

time to resign?  However, most churches in the united states are in 

the same mess, as my present church.   I think if I resign from this 

church, I walk away from full time ministry period; any suggestions?  

So if quit ministry after 20 plus years what would I do?  

I know during my rant on Wednesday I came off as a blubbering idiot.  

I was an emotional mess, but I meant it as a serious question.  How 

can I honestly evaluate my calling, and know if I am the chief cause of 

harm to God’s flock ?  Because, if the shepherd is not caring for the 

sheep then I am not called to be in full time ministry. 

First, thanks to a very wise pastor Kent Wagner, who told me to have 

an honest dialogue with my oldest son and ask if I am the problem.  

That was an answer to our prayers. After a long and honest 

discussion my son’s reply was;  “Dad, you’r kind of self-centered, it's 

not all about you.  You are one the most real Christians I know. I just 

hate church."  Which does not make me feel great, helps me to know I 

am not the issue! That frank reality is nourishment for the soul.

Back to my questions about ministry, what I believe drives us all to 

despair is the utter madness of what we do! The madness is in the 

fact what we do is etherial and often unmeasurable.  If I worked in a 

lumberyard and every board I cut was short, I would not work there 

long.  In ministry I have known faithful pastors of growing and 

shrinking congregations.Biblically, both growth and pruning are signs 

of God at work. ( John 15)  Everything, I do in ministry is so 

subjective.  I have been in ministry since 1991 and I can not ever 

remember having a Job evaluation.  I do remember the conflicts, 

losses and yes victories.  But what measure is there if I am cutting 

boards too short?  I want an objective measure if I am failing, my Lord 

and Savior, so I can get out of the way.

4,000 churches close their doors every single year. There 

is less than half of the number of churches today than 

there were only 100 years ago. 3,500 people leave the 

church every single day.  

As shepherds of the flock, we have to be a portion of the 

problem.When the pain of ministry hits, how can we 

channel the pain, into a healthy evaluation of our strengths and 

weaknesses.  Building on our strengths and lessening our 

weakness.

Churches with 45 people or less = 100,000 churches or 25% of all churches

Churches with 75 people or less = 200,000 churches or 50% of all churches

Churches with 150 people or less = 300,000 churches or 75% of all churches (http://pastormark.tv/2011/11/10/some-thoughts-on-church-size)

So 600,000 churches probably have a minimal staff.  When 

you have no one on staff, you end up evaluating your self. Revelation 

12:10 states; Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: “Now have 

come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and 

the authority of his Messiah. For the accuser of our brothers and 

sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been 

hurled down.

Evaluating yourself gives the accuser an opportunity to set us up to 

have an unrealistic view of our strengths. Also, Satan is excellent 

at making us feel our failures are unredeemable.  So, how can pastors 

measure objectively, if it is time to leave the ministry for the health of 

the flock?   But the question must become am I effective and  

growing for God’s glory?

Or have I fallen into unproductive habits?  There has to be an 

objective method to realistically evaluate our ability to win the lost 

and to make disciples.  What I am asking is what is it?  How do we go 

about it? 

If I am the problem, what do ministers do in a next career?  And how 

do you go about finding what’s next? If I leave my role as a preaching 

elder, I will always be an elder.  I will always have a role in rescuing 

the lost and feeding the Lord's sheep.

I have three immediate suggestions for an honest evaluation; First, 

“It's dumb to compare.”  Rick Warren  I have started hating articles 

like the current Outreach Magazine edition's front cover the 100 

fastest growing churches. That is not a godly assessment of church 

health, that is a worldly measure. Comparisons of attendance or, 

church budgets are unhelpful comparisons in the search of objective 

evaluation of effectiveness. Rick Warren in his conference states in 

the number one measure of a healthy church is changed lives.  In 

small churches the number of people is smaller, so the bulls eyes is 

smaller. So ministers may wrongly assume they are failing, if they do 

no hit dead center with every shot!  We must remember how Jesus 

moved heaven and earth to save one sinner; me!  If in a reasonable 

period of time, you can find growth to Christlikeness in one member 

in the flock, you are doing your job.  If there is one new believer 

because of your efforts then you are doing your job, so stay the 

course.

I have been blessed with multiple retired pastors in my tiny 

congregations.  They have often kept me sane on the roller coaster we 

call ministry. I notice many pastors are going to coaching to make 

them more effective in their ministry.  One problem I see is coaches 

are not with the minister in a heated board meeting or the 

devastating loss of a member, they are too far removed.  We need 

those closest to us to, “But speaking the truth in love, let us grow in 

every way into Him who is the head  — Christ.”Ephesians 4: 1

5Excerpt From: B&H Publishing Group. “The Holy Bible: HCSB Digital 

Text Edition.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/R3REx.l

What is not objective is the constant cheer leading about how great 

we are.  That gets us nowhere, other than a prideful attitude.  Yes, we 

need cheers, but I must also be open to correction.  The retired 

ministers of my congregation are most helpful when they cheer me by 

saying; you tackled a difficult subject homosexuality with both 

grace and truth.  The correction I value from them and others is 

when they say; you were right on the issue but your tone of voice, and 

your actions were ungodly.

For objectivity to happen we need older men who know the ministry 

to speak truth in our lives in a kind way. So another form of objective 

evaluation is to ask a retired pastor or Elder who will speak the truth 

in love and kindness.

All leader need objective ways to grow.  Hebrews 10:24,25 NIV And 

let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and 

good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the 

habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as 

you see the Day approaching.  For the church to experience healthy 

growth we must learn how to cut boards straight and true. 

What I want, after a depressing season in ministry is a five second 

Facebook quiz, that reassures me I am okay.  But for real growth it 

will take truth spoken in love over lifetime! Thank you for listening 


and praying for me.  Most of all thank you for being a voice of truth!

No comments: