Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Daily Dose of God's Word For 5-15

Daily Dose of God's Word For 5-15

Memory Verse: And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Cor 3:18

Read 1 Samuel 16

God Thought  

Before, I had even consumed my first cup of caffeine; my wife was 

demanding of me; "How can God send an evil spirit.?  It doesn't 

make sense!"  And wanted an answer right now!  

How do we deal with this difficult passage?  And how do we deal 

with all the thorny issues, around being open to the Holy Spirit and 

discerning about the questionable practices of some?

  1. Seek the Spirit's Help?

God reveals himself to us through the Bible and these word come 

from the Spirit.  "these are the things God has revealed to us by his 

Spirit. "The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of 

God." 1 Corinthians 2:10  So I first simply in prayer ask the Holy Spirit 

to quiet me from all I think I know and please teach me what I need to 

know.

2.Seek other translations of the Text

Just as there are times we understand something when when 

someone says it again in a slightly different way, so sometimes 

reading a different translation makes the passage more clear. There 

are many different translations and they are easy to find online at 


Unless you are a linguist of ancient Hebrew and have spent a lifetime 

in translation work, your time best spent looking at the work of those 

who have done the "heavy lifting". 

The two translations that should give us pause for this difficulty are 

Young's Literal Translation which chose a spirit of sadness to 

express the Hebrew.  Also, the Interlinear Hebrew Bible chose a Spirit 

that distressed Saul. 

3.   Seek the context

Context is what comes before and after a troubling passage, that 

gives the whole story.  The context of this passage is that God had 

sent His Spirit upon Saul when he became king but after multiple 

instances of choosing disobedience and sin, God rejected Saul from 

being king and selected a new king, named David, upon whom God 

sent His Spirit. Does the context suggest that God gave Saul what he 

sought?  Evil and rebellion?

4.  Seek others Scriptures

In sending this spirit, does it mean that God is the source of “evil” 

things? That God is "evil"?  Or does it mean God allows "evil" or 

distressing spirit to bring us to repentance?  James chapter one 

verses thirteen through 15, answer this for us.  I see Romans chapter 

one verse twenty-four as a key in understanding the Holy Spirit's 

dealing with Saul.  The rest of Romans chapter one, tells us, God, 

often deals with rebellion, by giving us what we want, that we may 

grow sick of it.

Our Triune God is so complex, we will never understand all of the 

mysteries, for this, makes Him God!  But, He gives enough light, for 

the next step in our journey of faith!

If you desire to learn more here are two articles on the internet I found 

helpful; 




Lord, I am open to the Holy Spirit. Come to me, 

dwell in me, speak to me so I may become 

more like Christ. Lord, give me the courage to be 

open. Lord, I am open to the Holy Spirit. Come, 


Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments: