Sunday, January 6, 2019

God Thoughts January 6th

“Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.”1 John 3:18

I admire elementary school teachers. I mean I really admire elementary school teachers. I have done many things in my life, but I could never do their job. I simply would be a failure if it were up to me to communicate daily with these little people. Each year for the first few days they teach the classroom rules to all the students. They practice walking in line, how to go through the cafeteria to get lunch, how to go to the bathroom, and how the overall rules work.

Their words instruct the children and they response to the teachers request (at least most of them do). That is the definition of obedience. You already know by now that your words have power and can create life or death. The other thing our words can do is to cause action. What you say can lead others to act.

Take this devotional for example. Here I am, sitting in a hotel room in Nashville, Tennessee, writing about the power of words. And there you are, wherever you are, responding to those words.

If you tell yourself over and over how ugly you are, your actions will reflect that. If you tell yourself how unhappy you are, your actions will reflect that. If you keep encouraging your children regardless of their age, they will act in confidence. That’s why it is important to use our words well; they are going to lead to action, in your own life or in someone else’s.

Thought of the Day: How are you using your words to edify those in your sphere of influence? How are you leading others to action with your words?

FROM YOUR WORDS ARE IMPORTANT
Daily Huddle Devotion
December 17, 2018

Dr. Joe Pettigrew

No comments: