Wednesday, July 31, 2013

FIT MEN

Snippet

This here's a hard country. If a man ain't fit, he can't last - Kilkenny”
― Louis L'Amour

Scripture

to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Song
Night Riders Lament  Jerry Jeff Walker & Suzy Bogguss
Night Rider’s Lament
Lyrics and Music by Michael Burton

Last night as I was out a ridin’
graveyard shift, midnight ‘till dawn
the moon was as bright as a readin’ light
for a letter from an old friend back home
Chorus:
He asked me why do you ride for your money
Why do you rope for short pay
You ain’t getting’ nowhere
And you’re losin’ your share
Boy, you must have gone crazy out there
But he’s never seen the Northern Lights
Never seen a hawk on the wing
He’s never seen Spring hit the Great Divide
And never heard Ol’ Camp Cookie sing
He tells me last night I run onto Jenny
she’s married and has a good life
Ah, you sure missed the track
when you never come back
she’s a perfect professional’s wife
Chorus:
She asked him why does he ride for his money
Why does he rope for short pay
He ain’t getting’ nowhere and he’s losin’ his share
He must have gone crazy out there
But she’s never seen the Northern Lights
Never seen a hawk on the wing
Never seen Spring hit the Great Divide
And never heard Ol’ Camp Cookie sing
Well I read up the last of that letter
and tore off the stamp for Black Jim
When Billy rode up to relieve me
he just looked at the letter and grinned
Chorus:
He sang . . .Now. . .
Why do they ride for their money
Why do they rope for short pay
They ain’t getting nowhere
And they’re losing their share
Son, they all must be crazy out there

Sentence Prayer

God, guide me toward Your great purpose in my life. Use me to serve the needs                    
of other people in Your body and Your creation.  Let me not covet the success 
of other people because it causes me to want their gifts.  When I see the 
achievement of other people, I begin to question my own status in the world.  
Lead me to a deeper, more meaningful understanding of your plan, Lord.

When I am tempted to pursue at any cost a journey that is not meant to be 
mine, may I encounter.  The truth of Your word, the wisdom of Your truth, 
and the wonder of my own life.  I want to experience Your will, Lord, not the 
trappings of another person’s path.  Amen 
(One Minutes Prayers for Men Harvest House Pub pg11)

No comments: