Tuesday, April 2, 2013

JOSEPH OF ARIMATHEA


Snippet

But there's much more to Joseph of Arimathea than is found in the gospels. A whole host of other stories have grown up around him...

He was the first person to bring Christianity to Britain, having been sent with other disciples by St Philip
He built Britain's first church (some say this was actually the first church in the world)
He was Mary's uncle, and thus Jesus' great-uncle
He was a merchant who visited England to buy Cornish tin
He took Jesus with him to England when Jesus was a teenager (local legends say that among the places they visited were St Just in Roseland and St Michael's Mount)
He brought to England two vials containing the blood and sweat of Jesus (or two vials containing the sweat of Jesus)
He brought the Holy Grail to England and hid it in a well at Glastonbury, now called the Chalice Well
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/thepassion/articles/joseph_of_arimathea.shtml)

Scripture

Afterward Joseph of Arimathea, who had been a secret disciple of Jesus (because he feared the Jewish leaders), asked Pilate for permission to take down Jesus’ body. When Pilate gave permission, Joseph came and took the body away. 39 With him came Nicodemus, the man who had come to Jesus at night. He brought about seventy-five pounds[k] of perfumed ointment made from myrrh and aloes. 40 Following Jewish burial custom, they wrapped Jesus’ body with the spices in long sheets of linen cloth. 41 The place of crucifixion was near a garden, where there was a new tomb, never used before. 42 And so, because it was the day of preparation for the Jewish Passover[l] and since the tomb was close at hand, they laid Jesus there. John 19:38-42 NLT

Song
Sail by AWOLNation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPtSKimbjOU

Sail!
This is how I show my love
I made it in my mind because
I blame it on my A.D.D. baby
This is how an angel dies
I blame it on my own sick pride
Blame it on my A.D.D. baby
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Maybe I should cry for help
Maybe I should kill myself (myself)
Blame it on my A.D.D. baby
Maybe I'm a different breed
Maybe I'm not listening
So blame it on my A.D.D. baby
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
La la la la la
La la la la la oh!
La la la la la,
La la la la la oh!
La la la la la,
La la la la la,
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail!
Sail with me into the dark
Sail!
Sail with me into the dark
Sail!
Sail with me into the dark
Sail!
Sail with me into the dark
Sail!
Sail with me into the dark
Sail!

Sentence Prayer

Risen Christ,
You have risen indeed, my faith can no longer be kept secret.
Forgive me for giving into my fears.
Give me the courage to sail with you into new lands, to proclaim the gospel.  Amen




No comments: