Thursday, January 19, 2017

Time in God's Word

Devotions for Word Sermon Series. January 18, 2017

Malcolm Gladwell, In his book the Outliers: The Story of Success wrote; “In fact, researchers have settled on what they believe is the magic number for true expertise: ten thousand hours.”  

This quote reminds of a Bible verse in Psalms 119:97 KJV O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.  Satan has deceived us into thinking the Bible is only understood by the preacher.  That if we only had a secret code of the Bible, we could unlock its mysteries.  The code is simple; it is spending ten thousand hours in the text.

I have people who say to me; I wish I knew the Bible like you do.  I humbly say thank you, but I think to myself of all the advantages I have.  As a preacher, I am forced to spend a substantial amount of time in the word each week to prepare a sermon.  The secret of knowing God and His word is spending time in their presence.

I have also known men and women in my life who have put my meditation of God's word to shame!  Why?  Once, again I confess that it is simple they have spent more time, practicing and meditation on God's truth.  In 1989, I was present at one of Don Dewelt's last revivals.  He preached without notes or the Bible;  because he knew the book of Acts by heart!


The secret of understanding God and his Word; is Time!

No comments: