Tuesday, February 23, 2010

True Wealth

Have you ever just felt sorry for yourself? Recently, we have had quite a series

of unfortunate financial events. And I was not pleasant to be around, because I

had forgotten the blessings I have. When your desire is for what you do not

have- you are blinded to the treasure in your hand.

Out of the blue, we had a friend show up to volunteer to paint our

house. We had some one feeling very generous give us 5 gallons of paint. I spent

money I did not have taking mynephews out for pizza, and in return found a

connection that I had not experienced in a while. I have a son in the Navy,

who has found his calling in life. A daughter who talks to her dad, as a

friend not a parent, who tells me I am the perfect dad. (Not true-but I

will take it!) I have two children living with us, who tell me they love me!

I have a wife, who has been loyal, loving, and my best friend for 24 years.

No, I have no more cash in the bank-but now that I have stoppedto count

my blessing-I know that I am rich beyond measure.

During these difficult times we all have the tendency to think, we

would be happy if we could just get caught up on the mortgage. We curse

the car repairs that seem to just keep oncoming! The kids growth spurt

and hunger never seems to stop and the grocery kart runneth over! But if

our focus is on life’s challenges we will miss the blessings God has graced

us with!

Christ moved heaven and earth to bring us freedom from guilt-peace with

God and a home in heaven. We are also told time and again in scripture

that the same effortput into saving us, will be put into making us like

Jesus! When is the last time over coffee, you sat real still and

counted the blessing of your friends and what little you have done

to deserve their loyalty? When is the last time you sat with a loved

one and became awed at the love showered on you unconditionally?

During a recession we are tempted to be envious of a raise-a better

financial situation-or house values. But Jesus reminds us. . . .

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,where moth and

rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up

for yourselves treasures in heaven,where moth and rust do not destroy,

and where thieves do not break in and steal. Matthew 6:19,20

That is exactly what Friendship First Church campaign is all about-

finding the one thing we cannot live without friendship with God

and Other People. Something that can never be taken from us, Love!

No comments: